What are native file extensions of msmac3D?

Litigation Topics and News Relative to Accident Reconstruction
MSI
Site Admin

What are native file extensions of msmac3D?

Post by MSI » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:58 pm

(email) Q: I received an opposing experts work product in which they did their work using your platform. I am not familiar with your platform, and I wanted to find out what the native file extension would be for your software? Is the software capable of generating reports? Thank you for your help!

A: I’d be interested in how other software vendors respond to your questions? Please let me know! We have a page on our website called ‘3D or not 3D’ (They might have run it in 2D however it still applies for ANY software program?). Please read the page and let me know if any questions. I believe the page speaks for itself.
Question? Comment? Please email forum@mchenrysoftware.com. Also see the McHenry Forum Index
Visit McHenrySoftware.com for technical information & software.
(c) McHenry Software, Inc ALL Rights Reserved.

MSI
Site Admin

Re: What are native file extensions of msmac3D?

Post by MSI » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:08 pm

(email) Q: I read through the page, and I probably was not very clear in my last email…. A PC-Crash file has a .pro file extension, a HVE file has a .hve file extension, but what file extension does McHenry Software use for their files? Is it .hvosm??

A: Where did you learn that those programs have those extensions? On what web page was that mentioned? And was it represented that each of those files included the complete input file, output file or input & output file?
We have evaluated many applications of those program wherein the .pro and/or .hve file did NOT include the complete definition of the input &/or output file. What about vehicle model files? Roadway/ground files? Friction areas definition files? Sometimes they are a part of the .pro & .hve files, sometimes they are not.
To be somewhat responsive, the main input file for msmac3D is suffix '.si5' however there may be many other files associated with an msmac3D project depending on a number of factors. And then of course there can be many output files.
Sorry to not be completely detailed in our response however I believe it is not an easy answer since ‘it depends’.

And of course I expect each and every word we send in response (and why we decided to post up) will be read by the attorney who hired you to the person who is using our software and so I will simply state: Re-read the 3D or not 3D page as it applies to any software used for crash reconstruction.
Please note that page was written many years ago and so things may have changed.
For example back then I don’t believe point cloud files were around!
Hope this helps and please let us know if any additional questions.
Question? Comment? Please email forum@mchenrysoftware.com. Also see the McHenry Forum Index
Visit McHenrySoftware.com for technical information & software.
(c) McHenry Software, Inc ALL Rights Reserved.