With all the hoopla about Red Light Cameras, NOTE: WE SUPPORT TRAFFIC CAMERAS, we believe they are a useful deterrent to running red lights, see prior articles on the issue:
- NC plays stupid, moving to outlaw red light cameras
Driver Sues, Blames That Darn Yellow Light!
Senate votes against cameras
From the article:
- Traffic cameras have spread to 582 communities nationwide to catch those who speed, run red lights or commit other violations.
- According to the National Conference of State Legislatures, 66 bills related to photo enforcement have been presented nationwide so far in 2013.
- Critics of photo enforcement often paint a picture of government overreach
- Supporters of photo enforcement point to growing evidence suggesting that traffic cameras curb violations and decrease the number of fatal accidents.
- An IIHS study of drivers in 14 cities with red light cameras — including Phoenix, Chicago and Raleigh, N.C. — found that two-thirds supported their use.
- In Washington, officials plan to add to the district’s current 90 traffic cameras. Since it started using speed cameras in 2001, Washington has had a 73 percent decrease in traffic deaths
For more see the article Traffic cameras Draw More Scrutiny by States