- Several cars are coming out with 'auto pilot' which for some of the trip let the car do the driving:
- Tesla is promising to equip its Model S sedan to take over highway driving under certain conditions.
- Audi will introduce a vehicle that can pilot itself through traffic jams.
- Cadillac will offer no-hands highway driving with its “Super Cruise.”
- Volvo new XC90 sport utility vehicle has a semiautonomous feature called “pilot assist” intended for congested traffic.
- Mercedes-Benz and Infiniti offer “lane keeping” features that allow drivers to take their hands off the wheel for periods of time on straight stretches of road
- The vast majority of states do not have any rules at all. The few that do passed the laws primarily to allow research and testing. Only New York specifically requires that drivers keep one hand on the wheel, but that dates to a law from 1967.
As a result, automakers are pushing into a regulatory void."
Topics and News related to Vehicle Safety Issues such as New Technologies and Recalls
1 post • Page 1 of 1
May 2, 2015 NY Times Hands-Free Cars Take Wheel, and Law Isn’t Stopping Them