What is WinSMASH?

Questions/Topics Related to the CRASH computer program
#CRASH #EDCRASH #PC-CRASH
brian

What is WinSMASH?

Post by brian »

Q: June 18, 2012:I noticed in a recent job opportunity they made reference to the WinSMASH* program. I don't have any interest in the job opportunity, but I do have an interest in evaluating the WinSMASH program. I read in a technical paper at least 5 years ago that NHTSA had planned to release the program to the public once it had been vetted, but have heard nothing more about it. Has NHTSA made this program available to the public yet, and if so, how does one obtain it?

A: From a few cases we worked on a few years ago: What we found out back then (and I can't recall how many years ago it was)…
  • The main reason NHTSA created WinSMASH and `reformulated CRASH' was to have a tool for damage analysis which wouldn't be subject to or a part of the litigation circus.
  • The NHTSA NASS teams use DAMAGE ONLY in 95% for reconstructing accidents for their statistical research.
  • DAMAGE ONLY analysis is fine for statistical analyses where they are mainly looking for trends.
Some articles on WinSMASH:
  • AN OVERVIEW OF NHTSA’S CRASH RECONSTRUCTION SOFTWARE WinSMASH (Jan 2020: local copy added, original link broken)
    • Sharma, Stern, Brophy, et al, ESV 20th Conference, 2007, Paper Number 07-0211
      ABSTRACT
      • The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) uses WinSMASH computer software to estimate the change in velocity, delta-V, of the vehicles involved in crashes. The software uses detailed measurements from the crash scene, vehicle damage and vehicle stiffness characteristics to compute energy absorbed by the vehicle and estimate the delta-V and Barrier Equivalent Speed (BES). The WinSMASH is a Microsoft Windows based, enhanced and updated version of the accident reconstruction software CRASH3 previously used by NHTSA. The purpose of this paper is to describe the new enhancements in the program
    The accuracy of WinSmash delta-V estimates: the influence of vehicle type, stiffness, and impact model
    • Niehoff, Gabler, 50th ANNUAL PROCEEDINGS, ASSOCIATION FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF AUTOMOTIVE MEDICINE (AAAM), 2006
      Abstract
      • The objective of this paper is to investigate the accuracy of WinSmash delta-V estimates as a function of crash mode, vehicle body type, and vehicle stiffness. The accuracy of WinSmash delta-V estimates was evaluated for 121 NASS/CDS 2000-2003 cases for which direct measurements of delta-V had been retrieved from an Event Data Recorder on the case vehicle. WinSmash was found to underestimate delta-V by 23% on average. WinSmash was found to be most accurate in crashes involving full frontal engagement of the vehicle structure. When using categorical stiffness coefficients, the accuracy of delta-V estimates was found to be a strong function of vehicle type. WinSmash underestimated delta-V for pickup trucks by only 3%, but underestimated delta-V for front-wheel drive cars by 31%. The use of vehicle-specific stiffness coefficients improved the accuracy of the longitudinal delta-V estimate. The single most important factor in improving WinSmash accuracy was the inclusion of restitution. After adjusting for restitution, WinSmash underestimated delta-V in frontal crashes by only 1% on average.
*Also know as the SMASH program (combination of SMac & crASH!)
Question? Comment? Please email us
MORE TOPICS see:Forum Index & McHenrySoftware.com
(c)McHenry Software, Inc ALL Rights Reserved.

This topic has 1 more posts with additional information

To Read more, Please login and/or register. 2024 NOTE: Soon ALL Technical Sections will be ONLY for registered users. Optionally you can email us forum@mchenrysoftware.com your Name, Company, Location, a Username, and a Password (which you can change) and we will register you and send you a confirmation email.

Register Login