A: Our pricing quote is for the first year license includes first year annual maintenance and which means we provide our users each and every update, extension, corrections, enhancement are included.
- After a year we do require an annual renewal/maintenance fee to support our continuing research and development of all improvements, extensions, refinements, updates, corrections and enhancements.
This is mainly so we as a company are not only driven by new sales.
We will not come out with new products or new versions and try to make you upgrade. We believe in providing all our users with the latest and greatest technologies.
- Any of those ways essentially hiding the fact that their users need to pay annually to keep current (aka maintenance) or work with older unsupported programs.
We also do not want to waste your time or our time trying to support multiple older versions of our product.
- The folks who don’t charge maintence fees no doubt will have as their first question when you call for support ‘what version are you using’ and then say ‘oh that is in the upgrade’ which will then cost you $1000 to $3000 or more to ‘upgrade’.
- For a comparison, see what some others software vendors in the AR field charge for updates/renewals:
- Engineering Dynamics (EDC) with their HVE) charge $2000-$6000 per year for their annual renewal and advertise 30+ year old McHenry enhancements and extensions )
- PC-CRASH, which is a momentum based collision program, hide their renewal fee in annual updates that cost $750-$1000 (think about it, if you are using an older version in litigation against someone with a newer version, who will prevail? What will you HAVE to do? UPDATE of course! So why not simply call it an annual renewal fee?)
- Other software vendors ‘never charge an update fee’ however they then change the name of the program and don’t support/update or simply drop the program
- msmac3D and msmac2D will be the main two products we sell and market. No new and improved products to make you buy something new.
- Each and every update, enhancement and extension, both of the simulation and the graphics will be included in the active license fee.
Hope that answers your question and you understand why we believe it is important to have annual maintenance fees.
Thank you for your interest in McHenry Software.
Please let us know if you have any additional questions.
The following link also covers the topic and was from a question posted a few years ago: