Benchmark Update with SSD Drive

General Questions, answers and information related to the release of the msmac3D program.
MSI
Site Admin

Benchmark Update with SSD Drive

Post by MSI »

April 2015: Finally updated from a SATA drive to a solid-state drive (SSD) on my Y50 notebook computer. With an SSD drive starting up win 8.1, loading up any and all programs are all much faster. I then reran our latest msmac3D Benchmarks with the only change being that the computer now had a SSD drive (all other things were the same!)
WOW!
For all the RICSAC crash test Benchmarks there were execution speed improvements such that now the msmac3D simulations run greater than 3 times (3X) faster than real time (and this is still without significant optimizations!) Also points out we will add a 'limited output' option to further improve speed.
April 2015 benchmark.jpg
April 2015 benchmark.jpg (50.11 KiB) Viewed 2458 times
NOTE: The following is an explanation of the Speed Factor:
  • Duration of Simulation:
    • The time required from the start of the msmac3D simulation, through the collision, and for the vehicles to come to their positions or rest.
      The Duration of the simulation is the same amount of clock time that it takes for the vehicles in a real world full scale test to collide and travel to their positions of rest.
    Time to Compute Simulation:
    • This is the time it takes for the msmac3D simulation program to make the calculations necessary to simulate the entire crash test from collision impact to the positions of rest.
    Speed Factor= (Duration of Simulation) divided by the (Time to Compute Simulation)
    • For example:
      • for RICSAC6, the Duration of the msmac3D Simulation from start of the simulation to the positions of rest was 7.15 seconds.
        The Time to Compute the msmac3D Simulation was 1.84 seconds which is the actual clock time it took for the msmac3D simulation to perform the calculations necessary for the entire 7.15 second Duration of the simulation.
        That indicates a Speed Factor = 7.15/1.84 = 3.88
        That means the msmac3D program performs the RICSAC6 simulation at 3.88X faster than real time
        So put another way: we can simulate crashes with msmac3D at 3.88 times faster than it takes for them to occur in reality!
      The line indicating Speed factor =1.0 means anything above that line simulate collisions FASTER than real time.
NOTE: If you plan to move over to SSD drives (not required since even without them msmac3D runs 3 times (3X) faster than reality:
  • I highly recommend MacriumSoftware and their Reflect software. I easily cloned the drive on my notebook w/o issue:
    • create a boot USB drive with Macrium, insert new drive into notebook, externally attach via USB the former drive, it boots up from the USB boot drive, select clone and 6 or so hours later, voila!
    I DO NOT Recommend Acronis True Image 2015:
    • I have used ACRONIS for years for backups and loading/browsing from a backup works fine. However when I tried to clone to the new SSD several times over the past few months it failed miserably and their forum has many other cases of inability to clone. I believe it is an issue with their creation of a 'boot drive' since once re-booted it doesn't' recognize the SSD disk attached on USB? I also tried several other 'recommendations' from their forum and tech support but finally GAVE UP! on Acronis True Image 2015. It simply failed.
Again: I highly recommend MacriumSoftware and their Reflect software