HOWTO: Clone your Hard Drive for faster/larger drive

NOT Crash Reconstruction just a collection of useful TIPS and RECOMMENDATIONS for working the internet and in windows and all that
MSI
Site Admin

HOWTO: Clone your Hard Drive for faster/larger drive

Post by MSI »

I was reminded to today about a switch i made in cloning software when i moved to SSD
i repeat the information here for easier find: NOTE: If you plan to move over to SSD drives (not required since even without them msmac3D runs 3 times (3X) faster than reality:
  • I highly recommend MacriumSoftware and their Reflect software. I easily cloned the drive on my notebook w/o issue:
    • create a boot USB drive with Macrium, insert new drive into notebook, externally attach via USB the former drive, it boots up from the USB boot drive, select clone and 6 or so hours later, voila!
    I DO NOT Recommend Acronis True Image 2015:
    • I have used ACRONIS for years for backups and loading/browsing from a backup works fine. However when I tried to clone to the new SSD several times over the past few months it failed miserably and their forum has many other cases of inability to clone. I believe it is an issue with their creation of a 'boot drive' since once re-booted it doesn't' recognize the SSD disk attached on USB? I also tried several other 'recommendations' from their forum and tech support but finally GAVE UP! on Acronis True Image 2015. It simply failed.
Again: I highly recommend MacriumSoftware and their Reflect software
MSI
Site Admin

Re: HOWTO: Clone your Hard Drive for faster/larger drive

Post by MSI »

Feb 2023: On my ThinkPad X1 Yoga Gen 6 Intel I wanted to increase the disk from 1tb to 2 tb
simple
easy!
the drive is a 1 TB SSD M.2 2280 PCIe TLC Opal
1 TB SSD M.2 2280 PCIe TLC Opal.png
1 TB SSD M.2 2280 PCIe TLC Opal.png (107.82 KiB) Viewed 19171 times
i obtained a
2tb and enclosure.png
2tb and enclosure.png (226.15 KiB) Viewed 19171 times
once received Once cloned and voila!
now working with 2 tb drive
AND
have a full cloned backup drive to use (if ever need it!)
I'd also recommend for daily backups etc
And of course I HIGHLY recommend the product as been using for years for backup and easy mount of backup drives as a drive to easily browse/copy/etc.
MSI
Site Admin

Re: HOWTO: Clone your Hard Drive for faster/larger drive

Post by MSI »

Did it again!
4 hours to backup my 2 TB drive,
then swap out drives and now 4 TB!!
with cloud files more and more space required so just added more space!
4 tb.png
4 tb.png (484.56 KiB) Viewed 17971 times