Same B.M.I., Very Different Beach Body

Subjects related to the reconstruction and simulation of Occupants in vehicles and Pedestrians struck by vehicles, ATB & ATB clones #ATB #MADYMO #MultiBody
MSI
Site Admin

Same B.M.I., Very Different Beach Body

Post by MSI »

Aug 2020 this post split to a separate post from Articulated Total Body (ATB) papers post:

A NY Times article today is a good demonstration of why you should not try to use ATB (or ANY occupant simulation program) in individual case reconstructions (a point made in the papers cited above)
July 7, 2015 Same B.M.I., Very Different Beach Body
which begins:
  • The illustrations here were created from scans of six people, who were all 5 feet 9 inches tall and 172 pounds. This means that though their bodies look very different, they all have exactly the same body mass index, or B.M.I. At 25.4, technically each of them could be considered overweight. (By the most common definition people with a B.M.I. over 25 are overweight and those with a B.M.I. over 30 are considered obese.)
Due to the major differences in muscle and bone density of individuals the ATB (or any occupant simulation program) should not be used for individual case reconstructions!
See the full article
The below illustrations were created from scans of real people by New York City based startup Body Labs, which creates 3-D body models to help companies create clothing and other wearable products that fit just right. For each person the number labeled V is their body's volume, or the amount of fluid that would fill a container the same size as their body, in liters.BodyLabs
bmi.jpg
bmi.jpg (113.57 KiB) Viewed 14469 times
Also this merely supports these findings from way back when:
  • There are limitations of percentiles to describe an individual or class of individuals. As Daniels (18) has demonstrated it is virtually impossible to find an individual who is “average” in more than a few body measurements. Anthropometrically, while the human body is the same in qualitative appearance within the species, there are considerable differences in the quantitative measures of the body. In statistical terms, there are relatively few dimensions that are highly correlated (“r”>.70) which means that the system varies in dimensional description within the same body and population.” (17) .
18Daniels, The “Average Man”?, Wright Air Development Center, WPAFB, Tec Note WCRD 53-7, Dec 1952

This topic has 2 more posts with additional information

To Read more, Please login and/or register. 2024 NOTE: Soon ALL Technical Sections will be ONLY for registered users. Optionally you can email us forum@mchenrysoftware.com your Name, Company, Location, a Username, and a Password (which you can change) and we will register you and send you a confirmation email.

Register Login