- Back in the 70's Raymond R. McHenry came up with the idea for the stunt as a test of the validation of the HVOSM 3D vehicle simulation program
- HVOSM is included in the McHenry Software msmac3D program
- Ray invented and designed the stunt (see patent and papers below).
- For the 2018 Jaguar e-pace Rollout stunt we had fun revisiting the earlier stunt and modifying things to accommodate the 2018 Jaguar e-Pace.
For Additional Information:
- Background on the Spiral Jump
- 1976 paper The Astro Spiral Jump-An Automobile Stunt Designed via Simulation
- 1974 Spiral Jump Patent
- 2012 paper A Short Histroy of Everything (...About McHenry and Computers in Highway Safety)
- From the paper: "Our hope is that someday in the near future police and investigator applications of our simulation and reconstruction technologies will generate a large volume of high quality crash reconstruction data, including injury/exposure definitions, that can then used by NHTSA/NASS and other governmental agencies or researchers to serve to further guide improvements in highway and vehicle safety"
- July 2017 Our Recent design of the 2018 Jaguar E-Pace Rollout Stunt
- For information on the msmac3D simulation collision reconstruction program we used to design the stunt:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/EeFYqqdfMq8 First run of the Original McHenry Spiral Jump in Houston Astrodome