msmac3D of vehicle accel and jump from drive-thru location

General Questions, answers and information related to the release of the msmac3D program.
MSI
Site Admin

msmac3D of vehicle accel and jump from drive-thru location

Post by MSI »

Saw a video of acceleration and jump of a vehicle from a teller location on twitter?
(if you know origin of this please let me know See below for origin of video, thank you Wade!)
The location on video: N42.253245,W89.028622
For quick comparison/demonstration put location in msmac3D, pulled in 3D terrain, put in cars (i guessed at) and did accelerations of vehicle away from the teller location and vehicle across the roadway in distance until i generally matched the trajectory.
I took 30 min to create this 30 second demonstration of some of the capabilities of msmac3D.

NOTE IMPORTANT ITEMS NEEDED FOR DETAILED ANALYSIS:
  • Did not model the left side tires interaction with the teller island curb (since no information on size/etc)
  • Did not model the vehicle tires striking/interacting with the roof of the crossing vehicle.
  • Did not know actual make/models/etc of vehicles or actual distance from the stop location to the bottom of the small hill that launched it.
  • Did not know the details of the hill only the general change in the elevation from parking lot to roadway and distance from roof of teller location to bottom of the hill from satellite photo (Google Maps provides elevations every 5-10 feet so not enough detail for the small hill/ramp and curb)
MSI
Site Admin

Re: msmac3D of vehicle accel and jump from drive-thru location

Post by MSI »

Here is a closeup and slow motion of the vehicle video
MSI
Site Admin

Post by MSI »

Did a little searching and found the crash happened in Rockford, Illinois on Dec 23, 2017 at 10:10 AM.
Here's a CGTN video of the crash (with better optics may revisit the simulation!)

Here is an overhead of the site: apparently the driver went into a parkign lot so could stop the vehicle without further incident.
Could not find any news reports on the incident.
OH of bank teller location.png
OH of bank teller location.png (1005.35 KiB) Viewed 2921 times
MSI
Site Admin

Post by MSI »

FYI, we did this quick setup example using google maps and so overhead image crude!
Should have used Google earth in Chrome! (in rush to do it i forgot!)
You get much better pictures in Google Earth.
See below and also see Google Maps vs Google Earth in Chrome
Google Earth v Google Maps
Google Earth v Maps.png
Google Earth v Maps.png (491.24 KiB) Viewed 2733 times
Here are some notes on the scale
Google Maps v Earth Scale.png
Google Maps v Earth Scale.png (117.81 KiB) Viewed 2733 times
MSI
Site Admin

Post by MSI »

Finally found the source of the the video!
Thank you Wade Bartlet, Wade maintains the NAPARS page on Facebook.
If you are on FACEBOOK Contains additional information on the incident of the vehicle exiting bank location and jumping over a car!