I've had some folks asks why we call it the 'McHenry James Bond Spiral Jump'
- Back in the 70's Raymond R. McHenry came up with the idea for the stunt as a test of the validation of the HVOSM 3D vehicle simulation program
- HVOSM is included in the McHenry Software msmac3D program
- Ray invented and designed the stunt (see patent and papers below).
- For the 2018 Jaguar e-pace Rollout stunt we had fun revisiting the earlier stunt and modifying things to accommodate the 2018 Jaguar e-Pace.
For Additional Information:
- 1969: IME paper on hvosm (he won the IME Safety Award) paper: An Analysis of the Dynamics of Automobiles During Simultaneous Cornering and Ride Motions
- 1971: First public performance of the Astro Spiral Jump at the Houston Astrodome on Jan. 15,1971
- 1974: SPIRAL JUMP STUNT APPARATUS Patent 3801021 Inventor: Raymond R. McHenry
- 1974: James Bond Movie: The Man with the Golden Gun is released
- Having seen/heard about the traveling American Thrill Show Stunt the Bond folks had Ray redesign the stunt so an AMC Hornet could be used as a REAL STUNT in a Bond movie. In the movie Bond jumps a Hornet over a creek in Thailand
- 1976 Ray wrote the paper: The Astro Spiral Jump-An Automobile Stunt Designed via Simulation
- 2012 Brian wrote the paper: A Short History of Everything (...About McHenry and Computers in Highway Safety)
- 2017: McHenry designs the 2018 Jaguar E-Pace Rollout Stunt