Great Stunt! Flat Spin 360 with Kia K5

News, notes, questions on the McHenry invented James Bond Astro Spiral Jump Stunt
MSI
Site Admin

Great Stunt! Flat Spin 360 with Kia K5

Post by MSI »

Just came across this stunt! Great Stunt!
Flat spin 360 seq.jpg
Flat spin 360 seq.jpg (166.9 KiB) Viewed 8056 times
Will add more information on stunt team/stunt driver and what tools they used to help them set up the stunt.
Dec 3rd:Solved! See below for how we think they could have easily designed the stunt!
Great Stunt!

For our design/update of the Jaguar E-Pace Rollover Stunt
jaguar EPace Rollout 40pct.jpg
jaguar EPace Rollout 40pct.jpg (50.44 KiB) Viewed 8129 times
we had great tools and team set up through Will Roberts and StarEvents UK.
MSI
Site Admin

Re: Great Stunt! Flat Spin 360 with Kia K5

Post by MSI »

Taking another look found a little drop ramp section.
Might need to investigate and simulate with msmac3D just for fun and to see the reasons for the ramp!
  • We expect it is to provide a lift to insure it doesn't pitch downward to hit the landing ramp
Flat 360 Drop Ramp.jpg
Flat 360 Drop Ramp.jpg (33.21 KiB) Viewed 8079 times
Here's the stunt again followed by some views of the ramp and vehicle response.
Interesting!
MSI
Site Admin

Post by MSI »

Information on the stunt driver for the stunt:
Kia stunt driver.jpg
Kia stunt driver.jpg (66.7 KiB) Viewed 8028 times
Another stunt was performed as part of the KIA K5 promo with his daughter!
They're a father/daughter stunt team...fantastic!
Aug 2021: Just saw this video of the making of the stunt

For additional information see:
MSI
Site Admin

Post by MSI »

This is a continuation of my post above on the Flat Spin 360 Stunt Kia K5 Stunt!

I Kinda Sorta Figured it out!!
Well at least realized an how it could have been easily** done:
  • Use simple launch analysis like the Simple Launch Trajectory calculation below
    • With a range of speeds and ramp angles determine what works best for the stunt space, etc.
  • Build the takeoff ramp and landing ramp determined from the equation
    AND
  • Build with a removable middle section (so no air flight, landing issues during setup)
    • Stunt team practice at speed and determine control inputs to produce 360 yaw
      • They can do on flat surface for starters then on the ramps
      • Make vehicle modifications to make it easier to do, like adding an easy way to apply rear brakes (IF no hand brake (lock rear wheels) in the production car, add one!)
  • Run a bunch of test runs until you got it working consistently
  • Remove the middle section
    • Or lower it a foot or so to do final testing and then remove it
    NOW You've got the stunt!
    • Note: they probably added the small ramp we noticed in the video and mentioned earlier in this thread as insurance so if vehicle approach a little slow and/or as insurance to add a little additional vehicle pitch up as it crossed the gap
**NOTE:let me qualify...easy to do if you have a great crew like those at StarEvents UK who helped us for the Jaguar 360 Roll Stunt a few years back...they could fix/change/build/do whatever on the stunt ramps in an instant.
A GREAT group of people, loved working with them and sharing a beer or two!

Simple Launch analysis
Simple Ballistic Launch.jpg
Simple Ballistic Launch.jpg (54.11 KiB) Viewed 7997 times
MSI
Site Admin

Re: Flat Spin 360 Stunt. Kia K5 Great Stunt!

Post by MSI »

Did a quick simulation of a Flat Spin 360 Stunt with msmac3D using a similar vehicle, a little different steer to insure easy 360, and voila!

For the video and details on how we set it up please see

Flat 360 SImulation SEQ 800x600.png
Flat 360 SImulation SEQ 800x600.png (619.29 KiB) Viewed 7958 times
MSI
Site Admin

Post by MSI »

On one the Youtube video of the Kia stunt we posted up we've recently had some discussion with someone who claimed it was fake. We requested they provide information on what about the video made them think it was fake.
Here is their explanation:
  • YOUTUBE COMMENT:
    • My immediate thoughts were that it's fake. Just because of the look of the thing. Doesn't look right, a car doesn't behave that way under this type of stress. Something just didn't ring true in my eyes. It looked fake. But there are a few things that confirm this for me. Firstly the shadow from the car, when jumping, doesn't match the shadow of the people standing in the background. Their shadow is being cast from a sun which is low to the left of our picture, whilst the cars shadow is cast from a sun which is high in the sky to our right. Also the reflections coming from the car neither match the shadows in the background, nor the car's own shadow. Also the reflections on the car look very suspect, with strong light coming from all directions. When the car lands, the front corner clearly smashes down into the ramp. This would cause an immense amount of damage to the front of the car, yet the car comes away from the ramp without a scratch. And the same can be said of the back corner of the car too. There is a reason why films cut away from the shot whenever a car lands after a large jump. It's because 99 times out of 100 the car is (for want a better expression) completely ****. Regardless of how reinforced the car is, unless it lands perfectly on it's wheels, it's not going to come away completely undamaged. That's why the corkscrew jump from 'The Man With the Golden Gun' is so amazing (the reason that drew me to your channel) it's a perfect stunt, but one in a million. In most of the other Bond stunts, even the small, less spectacular ones, the car is a total right off. It really doesn't take much to **** up a car. But I'm quite sure you're aware of that already. But as for this video, I just smelt a rat from the start. The location, the editing, the overall look of the thing, it just didn't ring true to me. So, when all's considered, in my humble opinion, I feel this is fake.
OUR RESPONSE:
  • We still believe it was and is a real stunt. Below is a composite of some shadows from the video and at first inspection it appears the shadows are in accordance with the sun.
    And because being shot for video/TV production i expect there were many 'key lights' tracking the vehicle throughout the stunt to be sure the vehicle looked good (don't want parts of the shiny vehicle lost in the sha sha sha shadows (that's a nod to Mick!))
    As far as the vehicle smashing, etc i don't believe it would cause damage as the suspension absorbs the landing and they might have also reinforced the suspension to handle the landing.
    Many ramp to ramp jumps have been run without damage even when they miss the landing ramp! (some suspension damage but no externally visible damage....We may post up a few videos of some 'miss the landing ramp' stunts to demonstrate.
KIa Stunt shadows.jpg
KIa Stunt shadows.jpg (180.73 KiB) Viewed 7422 times
MSI
Site Admin

Post by MSI »

I note today that the person commenting to my youtube video of the KIa stunt deleted ALL their comments (which included all my responses).
They kept claiming it was fake, I simply explained why i thought it was not fake and asked them to explain why they thought it was fake.
the thread above "YOUTUBE COMMENT" is their explanation and then i added my response.
At some point after that they deleted all their comments.

BTW back in Dec 2000 I had some email exchanges with the stunt coordinator Jeremy Fry, who's a great guy with an impressive list of stunts he's been a part of for many ads and movies.
He also happened to be the coordinator for that great Kia stunt! (the subject of this topic!)
I didn't mention that i had been in contact with him as part of my YouTube responses to the comments/claims of it being a fake stunt since I wanted to understand why someone looking at the ad would think it was a fake stunt.
However it appears that when Jeremy is involved in a stunt it is the real deal, as it was with the Kia Flat Spin 360!

This forum is for the open exchange of ideas and information.
So any time you have a question or comment and wish to remain anonymous simply email us and we will post up your questions and comments as anonymous.
Please see our You can also registerfor the forum and then you can choose to post directly or email us (OK for the first few postings we double check that you're not SPAM!)

McHenry Software