Magnification Factor v Energy Corection Factor

Questions/Topics Related to the CRASH computer program
#CRASH #EDCRASH #PC-CRASH
MSI
Site Admin

Magnification Factor v Energy Corection Factor

Post by MSI »

Q: October 21, 2012: If you have a moment can you help me understand angle theta reference the crush magnification factor (1 + tangent theta2)? For example, if my PDOF is 150-degrees (right, passenger side) would the magnification factor theta be tangent 30? (Example: 150-90=60 degrees and since 60 is larger than 45-degrees, subtract it from 90-degrees resulting in 30). I can think fine out to a PDOF of 135 because that does exceed a 45-degree theta (which I know we can’t exceed the limit of magnification factor of 2). But what about theta angles greater than 45-degrees?

A: The 'Magnification Factor' and 'Theta' angle apparently are from Daily book 'Fundamentals of Traffic Crash Reconstruction'.
For some reason Daily changed
  • 'Energy Correction factor' from the CRASH program to 'Magnification factor'
  • The angle Alpha from CRASH to Theta.
No biggie except this can add to confusion surrounding such questions since one would have to know that these are the same terms and that Daily merely changed them from the 1970's CRASH related documentation by Raymond R McHenry The inquiry seems to be simply a request for the definition of the angle alpha (which is called 'theta' by Daily).
Further information:

This topic has 1 more posts with additional information

To Read more, Please login and/or register. 2024 NOTE: Soon ALL Technical Sections will be ONLY for registered users. Optionally you can email us forum@mchenrysoftware.com your Name, Company, Location, a Username, and a Password (which you can change) and we will register you and send you a confirmation email.

Register Login