EDR data for crashed car: Who can read it and when?

Decided this might be a good time to add a specific topic on Electronic Data Recorders (EDR) and/or Crash Data Recorders (CDR)
MSI
Site Admin

EDR data for crashed car: Who can read it and when?

Post by MSI »

New: Use this link to go to the latest post on this thread

In response to a post to LinkedIn where one of the responses questioned about needing driver AND vehicle owner consent to read the EDR of a vehicle in a crash, I decided to start a thread on EDR data etc and so if you have any information, let us know and/or post on up.
The following was my response on EDR data:
  • I believe there is litigation/legislation in many jurisdictions about who 'owns' the rights to the EDR data.
    I doubt whether the owner vs driver of the vehicle means anything:
    • Just like laws in many jurisdictions that the vehicle is responsible for the speeding and/or running stop sign violation when caught on camera (until and unless the owner owns up to who was driving).
      It is NOT a right to drive a car,
      it is a privilege
    I think red light violation cameras and speeding violation cameras are EXCELLENT deterrents to violations and so should be used universally!
    • AND
      Any vehicle in a crash the police can examine the exterior and interior for damage and evidence
      so I BELIEVE
      The police/investigators should also be able to download the EDR data.
    THAT will make for safer roads!
    The EDR data is another good piece of the puzzle of 'what happened' and is good evidence to help determine fault, violations, etc, etc
    If drivers of vehicles don't like EDR data being used against them,
    DON'T DRIVE!!

This topic has 4 more posts with additional information

To Read more, Please login and/or register. 2024 NOTE: Soon ALL Technical Sections will be ONLY for registered users. Optionally you can email us forum@mchenrysoftware.com your Name, Company, Location, a Username, and a Password (which you can change) and we will register you and send you a confirmation email.

Register Login