Is your VPN IP blocking you from websites?

NOT Crash Reconstruction just a collection of useful TIPS and RECOMMENDATIONS for working the internet and in windows and all that
MSI
Site Admin

Is your VPN IP blocking you from websites?

Post by MSI »

Today finally realized an occasional issue i have on my computer:
  • Sometimes i could not access my wesbite and/or the host server (to report tech support issue) and/or certain websites from my computer

Normally I simply rebooted and voila! could access
Today i decided needed to get to the bottom of things
What was it?
  • I use McAffe which adds a VPN (Virtual Private Network)
    i used to use on occasion another VPN software but once added to McAffee i simply used theirs

the issue occurs because your computer is then seen as a NEW IP!
    which IF others are using that same IP and/or have used that IP in the past and for some reason the IP is blocked by certain sites:
    SO ARE YOU BLOCKED!!
main point of this post is a warning that
  • IF you can't access only certain websites
    it MIGHT BE YOUR VPN IP!!
MSI
Site Admin

Re: Is your VPN IP blocking you from websites?

Post by MSI »

Pet Peeve
McAfee Livesafe when you right click offers the option to
  • TURN OFF VPN
but
why not ALSO offer the option to
  • SWITCH VPN
so when encounter a BAD VPN that is blocked you can try another?
instead of turning OFF
then turning back on?
(hate 2 click solutions when a single additional menu item will do!)
McAffe LiveSafe right click options.jpg
McAffe LiveSafe right click options.jpg (25.06 KiB) Viewed 4714 times
MSI
Site Admin

Re: Is your VPN IP blocking you from websites?

Post by MSI »

seems many IPs used by VPN from McAffee are being blocked by some websites (like this one!)
Now whenever it happens i do a WhatsMyIP and will post the bad IP here
  • obviously if you are using VPN and can't connect to the mchenrysoftware server you won't see this
BUT
  • if you see 'server down' please let us know and do a WhatsmyIP so we can add to the list below
currently McAfee Lifesafe doesn't have a 'IP reporting' service but i will once i accumulate enough
  • i will add to this list as blocks occur and once 10 or more going to raise HELL
    (yesterday had 3 being blocked but did not check what the VPN IP was...
date time IP which McAffee used for VPN which was blocked and unable to connect to many websites:
DateTimeIPNotes
7/7/202222:30167.71.109.25
7/8/202207:50167.71.109.25start up in the morning apparently McAffee goes for the same BAD IP, turned off and then on and OK w/104.248.0.184
7/8/202208:38104.248.0.184worked for a while now usps won't let me on the site so turned off/on TWICE and comes back to 104.248.0.184
7/8/202209:08159.65.38.207finally switched BUT US postal service blocks, turned OFF VPN and could access usps fine??!!
after did what needed to be done on USPS, then turned VPN back on it went to 157.245.83.155 and worked on USPS!