A&B Crush Coefficients for Australian and other country vehicles?

Questions/Topics Related to the CRASH computer program
#CRASH #EDCRASH #PC-CRASH
MSI
Site Admin

A&B Crush Coefficients for Australian and other country vehicles?

Post by MSI »

In another forum question
Q: I am seeking A&B Frontal impact stiffness coefficients for an Australian Falcon vehicle and a Nissan sedan (Japanese model)?

My initial response was:
  • Do them down under govt. folks and/or the Japan govt. folks run crash tests on their vehicles?
    Are any available to the general public (as in you?)
    Do you have access to them?
    Get them!
    Get as many as you can.
    It's pretty straight forward to calculate A&B coefficients And of course if you provide the data to Dan or other A&B crush coefficient vendors they can do it for you too.
A response to my post was as follows:
  • Yes other countries DO run NCAP crash tests. The various websites can be found through NCAPs — Global NCAP
    The trouble is that most of them do NOT give detailed measurements of the crush, they just give star ratings for the occupant survival protocols.
    The second problem is that most of them, especially the more historical tests, are all at a single standard speed, so even if you can find the crush measurements, you still need to assume a threshold Delta V, and have no way of assessing if that assumption is realistic.
    If it isn’t, chances are you could end up with a very high ‘A’ and a very low ‘B’
We then added another response to the thread:
  • I'm with you 100%
    Since 1987 we have been trying to emphasize the imitations of data, the issue with a single crash test to 'define' structural properties, etc, etc
    See my 1987 letter to SAE committee folks
    Also See Main point is if ALL you have is damage data, then it is OK but use caution AND be super cautious in low speed crashes.
    since
    Due to the 'no damage intercept assumption' of CRASH:
    • Every single vehicle in a new vehicle showroom has a 4-5 MPH DeltaV!!
    depending on which vendor you get your coefficients from and/or what you assume for 'no damage intercept'
    Frank Navin ran some low speed crash tests on Rabbits in the 80s? and found 8-9 mph 'no damage intercept'
    • I did quick search for your report but...apparently I didn't tag or store it properly...oh where is it?
    Guess here in the states we are spoiled by the great data source at NHTSA, where there are normally more than just star ratings (videos, pictures, reports, etc.)
    But of course there are variations in testing sites (a report done on that years ago and demonstrated variations?)

This topic has 1 more posts with additional information

To Read more, Please login and/or register. 2024 NOTE: Soon ALL Technical Sections will be ONLY for registered users. Optionally you can email us forum@mchenrysoftware.com your Name, Company, Location, a Username, and a Password (which you can change) and we will register you and send you a confirmation email.

Register Login