The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) was created on October 15, 1966, after having had several predecessor organizations.
In 1893, the Office of Road Inquiry was founded. In 1905 that organization's name was changed to the Office of Public Roads which became a division of the United States Department of Agriculture. The name was changed again to the Bureau of Public Roads in 1915 and to the Public Roads Administration in 1939. It was then shifted to the Federal Works Agency which was abolished in 1949 when its name reverted to Bureau of Public Roads under the Department of Commerce.
In 1966 the FHWA was created; and in 1967 the functions of the Bureau of Public Roads were transferred to FHWA.
Read more about Highway History.
- also see A look at History of the FHWA
which today included:
July 11, 1916
President Woodrow Wilson signs the Federal Aid Road Act, launching the Federal-aid highway program. The ceremony is witnessed by Members of Congress and representatives of farmers' organizations, AAA, and AASHO. Federal-aid funds are to be apportioned based on area, population, and post road mileage. The Federal share is 50 percent of the actual cost, up to $10,000 a mile. However, no funds are to be provided to a State unless it has a State highway agency and its legislature has assented to the provisions of the Act.