Small Sedan into Parked Car

General Questions related to the Momentum Based Analysis programs
#pc-crash #virtualcrash #crash
MSI
Site Admin

Small Sedan into Parked Car

Post by MSI »

Q: My friend recommended you to me as an authority on car crash physics, so I would very much appreciate your guidance on the following:
  • It appears to me (perhaps incorrectly) that if a small sedan hits a parked small sedan at 50mph, each car will incur damage that is roughly equivalent to a small sedan hitting a brick wall at 25mph.
Does this sound correct?

A: If both vehicles are near the same weight, if it is a central collision (not offset) and if no significant other things happen (other parked cars, a wall, etc.) then yes, the vehicle travelling 50 MPH into a similar parked vehicle will bring the parked vehicle up to approx. 25 MPH while reducing its speed to 25 MPH. It would be roughly equivalent to the car simply running into a wall at 25 mph.
Restitution of the vehicle structures, tire forces and other things are why it is only 'roughly' equivalent.
Equations from our book McHenry Accident Reconstruction (which is currently out of print) which govern the impact are as follows:
    • Terminology and Analytical Relationships for Collinear Central Collisions

This topic has 1 more posts with additional information

To Read more, Please login and/or register. 2024 NOTE: Soon ALL Technical Sections will be ONLY for registered users. Optionally you can email us forum@mchenrysoftware.com your Name, Company, Location, a Username, and a Password (which you can change) and we will register you and send you a confirmation email.

Register Login