Question on curb impact/launch height

Question on 3D Simulation/msmac3D/HVOSM and other 3D Simulation models
MSI
Site Admin

Question on curb impact/launch height

Post by MSI »

Q: (rcd via email)
  • A car went out of control and mounted a curb (grass median) at an approach angle of about 45 degrees. It went airborne onto the opposite side of the road, going over the bonnet of a car traveling in the opposite direction, and pushing the car and its bonnet cover to the side.
    Any ideas on how to determine the take-off angle and the trajectory of the car based on marks on the grass median and landing area, and hence the speed of the car.
    I have seen the entry by MSI Curb Impacts where a member asked about using curb height as rise and wheelbase. Unfortunately, I do not have access to SAE and hence do not have details or the conclusions of findings reported by those 4 papers, whether they contain any info useful to me. Also, are there any newer papers on the subject?
    Thank you very much for your time and effort in replying this question!
A: Hello.
1st item 2nd item:
  • The type of vehicle striking the curb, the curb type and height of curb make for different 'launch' or 'take-off' angles from the curb.
    Also, any roadway slope prior to the curb impact
    • was the median from a flat or curved roadway section?
    • was the median flat or sloped
    i believe some of those cited papers were to quantify the rise response of the vehicle in response to the curb impact.
I will take a look to see if any other papers which might include full scale tests of vehicle impacts on curbs and will add to this thread in the next few days.

This topic has 3 more posts with additional information

To Read more, Please login and/or register. 2024 NOTE: Soon ALL Technical Sections will be ONLY for registered users. Optionally you can email us forum@mchenrysoftware.com your Name, Company, Location, a Username, and a Password (which you can change) and we will register you and send you a confirmation email.

Register Login