Olson v Baker Driver Perception/Response Times

Q&A related to Driver Factors in Crash Reconstruction
MSI
Site Admin

Olson v Baker Driver Perception/Response Times

Post by MSI »

Q: I would like to gather opinions on the merits or applicability in casework of perception-reaction time as defined by Paul Olson in "Forensic aspects of driver perception and response" (2010) versus that by J Stan Baker in "Perception and reaction in traffic crashes". I was told that Baker's definition had an advantage in reducing ambiguity regarding which point a hazard can be considered perceptible to a driver. However I am skeptical as definitions of PRT include similar components (however named or categorized) which need to be accounted for. When PRT starts is often quite a challenge.

A: Since we've been buried in preparing and releasing our msmac3D software we've been somewhat out of the loop on the most recent developments in driver preception/reaction studies. Particularly now with many studies which incorporate built in video systems so actual crashes (as opposed to laboratory or staged settings) are being investigated.
For example, SAE 2005-01-0426 Factors that Influence Drivers' Response Choice Decisions in Video Recorded Crashes.
We recommend you contact Jeffrey Muttart and/or Crash Safety Research and/or Crash Safety Solutions.
They specialize in driver perception/response and all things driver related and so might point you to papers which may include reviews and comparisons of Olson vs Baker.
I will also drop Jeff an email and post up any response i get from him on your question.

This topic has 2 more posts with additional information

To Read more, Please login and/or register. 2024 NOTE: Soon ALL Technical Sections will be ONLY for registered users. Optionally you can email us forum@mchenrysoftware.com your Name, Company, Location, a Username, and a Password (which you can change) and we will register you and send you a confirmation email.

Register Login