VIN Decoders

Topics related to Vehicle Specifications, Vehicle Acceleration Tests, Vehicle Braking Tests
MSI
Site Admin

VIN Decoders

Post by MSI »

Bravo NHTSA!
The NHTSA site has a VIN Decoder:

And also a link to the Canadian Database:

You can also get the Canadian SPECS databse direct from Transport Canada:
Update/Upgrade/Enhance your tools with msmac3D! Lease it, Try it!
LINKS:LEASE pricing!, McHenryForum Index, LATEST TOPICS
Question? Comment? Please email forum@mchenrysoftware.com
(c)McHenry Software ALL Rights Reserved.
MSI
Site Admin

Re: VIN Decoders

Post by MSI »

From the Facebook NAPARS page:
  • Ford's website has a VIN decoding resource -
    • one page per model year going back 20 years. I really like using manufacturer's own literature when I need a citation. Specifically, this will help you be sure which of the many pickup variations you're dealing with, Regular cab, Crew cab, SuperCab, SuperCrew , long bed, short bed, 2x4, 4x4, etc.
    VIN Guides
    • The VIN Guide data in the PDFs was current at the time the PDFs were developed. Please login to use the VIN Decoder for the most up-to-date information.
MSI
Site Admin

Post by MSI »

another subscription based (only $3.99 A MONTH!) resource for finding out information on Truck ViNS AND MORE From their FAQ page:
  • Why is it now a $3.99/month subscription?
    • The original 2010 app was $0.99 US. It cost between $500-$1000 per year to update the app and maintain a developer account. With about 2,000 downloads over 12 years, this was not sustainable. The original app only worked on North American heavy trucks. The new app will give a limited decode on any VIN, and now also has EDR information on busses and RVs
  • What VINs will this decode?
    • It will decode any CFR compliant VIN, but for now it is still focused on medium and heavy trucks for the purpose of crash reconstruction.
visit the site, a great resource for Truck VINS, etc
MSI
Site Admin

Post by MSI »

Just saw this ad posted up:
  • VINTrucks Version 7 is available on the Google Play app store (also link below).
    • It is offered by subscription for $3.99/mo (US). As with any subscription, there will be an increase in the update frequency. We will be looking at 3-4 times per year versus every 2-3 years on the original version, and NHTSA reports they update their database at least monthly.

What’s new in Version 7: VINTrucks will decode any VIN, not just Heavy Trucks. However, Heavy trucks older than 30 years may come back with an incorrect year and will require an extra step. Please take a look at https://vintrucks.com/faqs to learn more.

VINTrucks uses the NHTSA API and database which is free, and it is here: https://vpic.nhtsa.dot.gov/api/ . While NHTSA API is free, VINTrucks goes beyond what is provided in the database and provides valuable information in a simple, easy to use format that allows output to be sent via email or SMS. In many cases, VINTrucks will tell you the module family, where the module is located in the truck, link to photos of what it looks like, and provide warnings about “features” (Cummins AT AV, PACCAR, Caterpillar, etc.).

The VINTrucks website, www.vintrucks.com, has also been updated. VINTrucks does not store or automatically transmit any data to me.

VINTrucks is not intended to replace an HVEDR class. I highly recommend that you attend at least one, and if it has been a few years, you may want to sign up for another. I am about to attend my third one. Did you know that 2019+ Mack MD-6’s have Cummins engines? I had not run across one and discovered that in beta testing the app.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... n_US&gl=US